Identity: The Demand for Dignity and the Politics of Resentment,(New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2018).
Political Order and Political Decay: From the Industrial Revolution to the Globalization of Democracy (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2014).
Poverty, Inequality, and Democracy, ed., with Larry Diamond and Marc Plattner (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012).
- The Origins of Political Order: From Prehuman Times to the French Revolution (New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2011).
- New Ideas on Development Since the Financial Crisis, edited, with Nancy Birdsall (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2011).
- Falling Behind: Explaining the Development Gap between the United States and Latin America (New York: Oxford University Press, 2008). Editor.
- East Asian Multilateralism: Prospects for Regional Stability (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008). Editor, with Kent E. Calder.
- Blindside: How to Anticipate Forcing Events and Wild Cards in Global Politics (Washington: Brookings Institution Press, 2007). Editor.
- Beyond Bioethics: A Proposal for Modernizing the Regulation of Human Biotechnologies (Washington, DC: School of Advanced International Studies, Johns Hopkins University, 2006).
- America at the Crossroads: Democracy, Power, and the Neoconservative Legacy (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2006).
- Nation-Building: Beyond Afghanistan and Iraq, editor (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006). Editor. Author of Introduction, "Nation-building and the failure of institutional memory," and Conclusion, "Guidelines for Future Nation-Builders."
- State-Building: Governance and World Order in the 21stCentury (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2004).
- Our Posthuman Future: Consequences of the Biotechnology Revolution (New York: Farrar,Straus, and Giroux, 2002).
- Information and Biological Revolutions: Global Governance Challenges-Summary of a Study Group, editor, with Caroline S. Wagner (RandMR-1139-DARPA, 1999).
- The Great Disruption: Human Nature and the Reconstitution of Social Order (New York: Free Press, 1999).
- The End of Order (London: The Social Market Foundation, 1997).
- The Virtual Corporation and Army Organization (with Abram Shulsky), Santa Monica: RAND Corporation MR-863-A, 1997.
- Trust: The Social Virtues and the Creation of Prosperity (New York: Free Press, 1995).
- The US-Japan Security Relationship After the Cold War (with Kongdan Oh), Santa Monica: RAND Corporation MR-283-USDP, 1993 (published also in a Japanese edition by Tokuma Shoten, 1994).
- The End of History and the Last Man (New York: Free Press, 1992). Also published in approximately 23 foreign language editions.
- Gorbachev and the New Soviet Agenda in the Third World, Santa Monica: RAND Corporation R-3634-A, February 1989.
- Soviet Civil-Military Relations and the Power Projection Mission, Santa Monica: RAND CorporationR-3504-AF, April 1987.
- The Soviet Union and the Third World: The Last Three Decades, (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 1987). Editor, with Andrzej Korbonski. Author of Chap. 2, "Soviet Strategy in the Third World."
- Moscow's Post-Brezhnev Reassessment of the Third World, RAND Corporation R-3337-USDP, February 1986.